Tuesday, June 29, 2010

One Question for God

I like to think that after we have passed through this life there is something else. I am not at all sure what it looks like, but I hope that God is there and that there is an open mic night. There are lots of questions I really want to ask the great I Am, but if I only get one shot I am ready. I have rehearsed this question in my head a million times. When my turn comes I will humbly approach the mic and say, "Yes, I'm...oh wait, you already know me. Okay, anyway my question is this: why did you create mosquitoes?"
I know, you are blown away by the theological depth and profoundness of this question. What can I say, its a gift.
I have no idea how God would answer this question because I have no idea what the point of the little bloodsuckers is. Yeah, I know all about the food chain thing. I took science. Yet there are lots of insects in the great circle of life that don't view me as a walking buffet. I think I will give myself a new nickname - Ponderosa. One week at camp and it looks like I have the chickenpox. There are itchy welts on my arms and legs. They even got me through my shirt and left massive mounds of pain and suffering on my back. Deet is a myth, a cruel joke. I have come to believe that rather than a deterrent deet is like catnip to mosquitoes.
I have searched my heart and soul to find one redeeming thing about mosquitoes. I can't. Perhaps it is the memory of not one, not two, but three full-blown cases of malaria passed on to me by mosquitoes that is clouding my judgment on this subject. In case you have not had the privilege of surviving malaria (and you really don't know what you are missing) imagine your temperature going from normal to 104 in about an hour and your stomach feeling like it is going to explode. Then add in the headache and the chills and you get a taste of what malaria is like. People die from this stuff. So, God, enlighten me. Why, why did you create the mosquito?
In those brief few moments when I stop slathering myself in Camomile lotion I think I get a faint hint at what the answer might be. Humility. Believe it or not I am a remarkably self-absorbed creature (sorry to burst your bubble on that one, dear reader. BTW, there is no Santa Claus or Great Pumpkin, either). There are times when I think the universe should revolve around me. God, being the actual center of all creation, has seen fit to give me a few reality checks, a couple of reminders that I am not all I think I am. These include college textbook sellers, toddlers, teenagers, and mosquitoes. Just because I find something annoying (or deadly!) does not mean other parts of creation do not find that same thing to be useful or even tasty. There is a great big world out there of which I am just one small part. It's not all about me.
So, it is with great humility that I look at the mosquito perched upon my arm...and then proceed to squash the life out of it. Why? Because its not all about the mosquito, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment