Wednesday, July 14, 2010

5 Reasons NOT to Go to Church

I have been doing this ministry thing for almost 20 years (I know, who would have guessed. I look so young. Good genes.) I must confess that in that time I have heard mostly weak, pathetic excuses about why people don't go to church. "We got home late," "Jimmy has a soccer game," "We had to go to my third cousin, twice removed funeral." Please! People, people, people... Look, I understand your not wanting to go to church. I do. What you need is some originality, some creativity in avoiding that Sunday morning obligation. So, I humbly offer up 5 can't miss answers that you can give the next time someone asks you if you are going to church this Sunday. Use them as they are or change as needed but please, when you speak of me, speak kindly.

1) The Jehovah Witness folks are due for coffee. Some people think that the JW are a cult. That you are even willing to talk to them is sure to freak out your church going friends. Of course your friends may stage an intervention, but I say take the risk.
2) We went to Cirque du Soleil last night and I doubt your church can compete. Brutal, but probably accurate. Honestly, what church can compete with acrobats?...Stupid acrobats!
3) Oh, now you ask me. What, I wasn’t good enough for you last week?! This only works once, like the first time someone asks you to church, so use it wisely. In your face aggression always throws people off their game.
4) My husband/wife/child/dog only has a week left so we are doing what they want. This is war, there are going to be casualties, including the truth. Plus, its not like you said they were dying.
5) Jesus went to church and look what they did to him. Actually, churches did not exist when Jesus walked the earth, but the overall point is still valid. No one wants to be crucified, even people who go to church. Especially people who go to church.

I can think of a lot better things to do with my time than go to church. Showing up on Sunday morning and passively watching people talk and sing is not my idea of a good time. Hey, I might as well stay at home and watch the politicians ramble on during the Sunday news programs. At least I can stay in my pajamas.

What I can't live without is BEING the church. Being the church means I get to do all of the life altering things that Jesus did - feeding the hungry, bringing good news to the poor, healing and hope to the sick. Being the church allows me to be part of a community where people will celebrate with me when good things happen in my life and walk with me through the dark times. And I get to share in other people's joys and sorrows. Being church is about growing into a relationship with God through prayer and learning and active worship. Being church is a 24/7/365 way of life.

So if you want to skip out on going to church this Sunday remember, I've got your back. If you want to BE the church what are you waiting for? You don't need and excuse!

No comments:

Post a Comment