Saturday, July 31, 2010

God's iPod

I am an iPod voyeurist.  I am completely and utterer fascinated by what music people have on their iPod (or MP3 player or phone or whatever other device they use to play music).  Before you call the cops I have never done anything about this obsession other than occasionally ask close friends what they are listening to.  Ok, maybe I have also inquired about the playlist of a few acquaintances...and perhaps once or twice approached a complete stranger.  But I have it under control.  Really.
It does not matter what the person looks like or what they are doing while listening to music, I am interested in what they have flowing through their headphones (or earbuds).  Last night a man in his late fifties was walking by my house.  He still had on his work uniform (looked like he worked for an auto repair shop) and was moving at a moderate pace.  I so wanted to run up to him and ask what he was listening to.  But I didn't.  Instead I sat there, watching him walk by, imagining.  Was it country?  Soft rock?  Folk?  Or, and this is the romantic in me, was he blasting through some Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden?  I hope so.  Justin Bieber would just be so very, very wrong.
My greatest temptation is stopping a runner and asking them what gets them moving.  See, I hate running.  Put me on a field or a court playing a sport and I am happy to run till I drop (which takes much less time than it used to).  But to run just to run, well, I think I would rather have a root canal.  Without pain medication.  Thus, I am fascinated by people who actually do run.  Most of them listen to music while they run and I want to know what it is.  Maybe it will help me get out there and pound the pavement.  Then again, maybe it won't.  I still want to know.
What music people listen to can tell you a lot about the person.  Not everything mind you.  My oldest daughter's iPod is filled with music from my iTunes library.  One day she asked me to put some songs on and I agreed, with one condition.  She had to listen to every song in its entirety the first time it played, even if she did not like it.  She did (or at least she told me she did.  Teenagers don't lie, right?)  Even if the music is not of their choosing that can tell you something about the person and who their friends are.
Music also tells stories.  Songs get tied to events in our lives and form a soundtrack that is unique to each person.  The song Ironic brings back powerful memories for me - October 1996, it is morning and I am sitting in the airport in Amsterdam.  We just arrived a few hours ago from Nairobi (we left Kenya at midnight).  I was tired, cold, and could not wait for my next flight because my wife and I were headed home to introduce our brand new baby girl to her family.  I had not heard any new western music in over a year and the first song I heard (and saw, it was a video) was Ironic.  Everytime I hear that song I feel cold, tired and excited.
The playlist I really want to listen to, however, is God's.  I imagine that over eternity God has mixed up a little (I would.  How many times can you listen to Thriller before it just gets old?)  but I want the original.  I want to know what God was listening to when God created the universe.  Sure, some of you might argue that there was no music yet, but we don't know that.  Besides, I do most of my creative work with tunes blasting and so why not God?  Just think about it.  The moment before anything existed, right before the Big Bang, God flips on the iPod and out comes....
Oh, the possibilities! Was it something classical?  Perhaps Motown (the Queen of Soul?)  Queen's We Will Rock You?  Or something that we have not even heard yet?  That playlist, those songs, imagine what they could tell us about the character and nature of God.  And the memories of those moments of creation. 
So, if you have nothing better to do on a warm summer weekend, ponder what God was listening to.  Don't be afraid to show your own personal bias.  And, if you wish, share your thoughts with the rest of us.  Because, as an iPod voyeurist, I really want to know what you are listening to as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment